HAVING FUN IN THE GARDEN... AND WHO KNOWS... MAYBE SOMETHING WILL GROW!

having fun in the garden...and who knows....maybe something will grow!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Sunflowers

Melisha, thanks for the idea! I know that I can't be too sure about the integrity of the seeds, but I bought a huge bag full of sunflower seeds (still in the shell) from the local store (being sold as hamster food!). So, I just threw the seeds in the garden where I wanted sunflowers to grow (just before the rains started) and presto! Here is a pic of the very first sunflower I have grown. Today a second much bigger one has also bloomed (still to take pic). I have also decided to scatter seeds along the backyard wall (behind the baby olive trees) so will see if some of those come up before the birds find them. Note: If you have lots of seeds like I do, try sprouting them. These sprouts are referred to as "Sunnys" or "Sunflower Greens". They are yummy on sandwiches and salads and really nutritious! Here is a link to a website that explains how to sprout them.

No comments:

Post a Comment