HAVING FUN IN THE GARDEN... AND WHO KNOWS... MAYBE SOMETHING WILL GROW!

having fun in the garden...and who knows....maybe something will grow!

Monday, May 2, 2011

3rd and Final Attempt at saving the Bay

I am really struggling with the precious little Bay Leaf tree. It was in a pot and after a while the leaves started going brown and falling off. The stem then turned black from top down. I repotted it with lots of bonemeal and compost/potting soil and found that there were grubs attacking the roots (those fat white worms with yellow heads!). The bay did not recover, but I could not accept that it was dead so, this weekend, I have now replanted it in the ground (where the dead conifer was, next to the olive trees). I know it is probably a lost cause (no sign of green in the stem at all!), but I am hoping for a miracle! Oh, well, will have to wait and see! In meanwhile, I'm trying to grow an avocado tree from a pit, and if I succeed will plant it there if bay dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment