HAVING FUN IN THE GARDEN... AND WHO KNOWS... MAYBE SOMETHING WILL GROW!

having fun in the garden...and who knows....maybe something will grow!

Sunday, December 7, 2014

My love / hate relationship with the grub

First I couldn't stand these things. They killed my potplants while in the larvae stage and wiped out my blooming roses in the adult (beetle) stage. I had to determine a way for us to live together harmoniously. After my hens arrived, I realised the value of the grub. The girls love to eat them! The grubs also speed up the process in my compost heap. So there. Two benefits. I also don't mind the hawdie-daws visiting anymore because they also eat these buggers. The larvae (at its biggest stage) go to my chickens and I only leave the babies behind to continue their job of sorting out the compost heap until they too get big and juicy for the picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment